GBS Info News GBS Survivors Support About
Noah's Story   — Maria Alvarado, CA, USA

I was tested for GBS at 36 weeks which came back negative. My little angel was born on August 18th, 2011 at 1:20 p.m. Never did I imagine I would have to face the two longest and hardest weeks of my life! Noah seemed just fine the first few hours. Around 5 p.m an on call pediatrician came to do a check up he said "everything" looked good and classified him as a healthy baby boy. At 7 p.m. he started to make scary grunting noises and had difficulty breathing I notified the nurse around 7:30 p.m. She examined him and then said she was going to take him over to the NICU and she would to bring him right back. I waited and waited for an update and nothing. That hour was the longest hour of my life. Not knowing what was going on with my baby was heartbreaking. Finally they told us, his dad and myself, to go over into the NICU. There he was, my poor defenseless newborn, hooked up to machines and surrounded by many nurses. The doctor then gave us the news. Noah had Group B Strep. I had no idea what that was. I had never heard of it! He told us they were going to do their best, but, if he didn't improve within the next few hours, he was going to be transferred to a Children's Hospital. They started him on antibiotics and over the next few days Noah began improving little by little. He then told us Noah had Respiratory Distress, Pneumonia, Severe Jaundice and Sepsis. He had a Spinal Tab done and ruled out Meningitis. Noah had to carry two IV's, one on each hand, due to the reason that his little veins were not healed. His small hands were so bruised. Over the days the doctor told us he was responding very well to his antibiotics. Then said we were lucky to have noticed it in time. If we would've waited longer our little Noah wouldn't have made it. My little angel had to stay there for a total of 12 days. I was anxious and ready to have my little boy home with me in my arms! He got to come home on September 1st, 2011. He is now 2 months and he is such a happy baby! God gave him another chance and listened to our prayers. I look at him now and I'm so thankful as I can't see my life without him! I never knew how serious this illness was. I wish people would be more aware of it. From crying myself to sleep every night, to having him wake me up to his precious smiles is indescribable. We were blessed upon this little angel. Never lose hope. God will never leave you at your worst.

Copyright 1999-2004 Jesse Cause Foundation